Sunday, May 23, 2010

Thankfulness Day 104:: Geese


My parents have a property on a lake.  Every spring the geese nest on their property and they are very mean about it.  In fact if you even get near them there is hissing and tongues sticking out at you.  One would say they are mean.  Ahem, but I would say they are just being protective of their young.

It isn't uncommon for them to fight with other geese over territory and to chase other geese away if you are trying to feed them all.  The above pictures is a pair of geese with 17 babies.  17??  How on earth....yes I thought the very same thing so I sought out the association master geese man (maintenance guy) and asked him how one goose could have so many?

The answer was astounding my friends!  The geese who are the oldest and have been on the lake the longest have all authority, if they choose to steal (yes I said STEAL!!) some babies from the younger geese they can do so.  And so you have it.  Don't worry I was watching very closely to make sure my youngest Nash wasn't stolen by them as well!

Today I am thankful for the culture that I live in.  When I birth a baby it's mine and no one can take that away.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails